Thursday, March 7, 2013

For the Chipotle Burrito Bowl Lover: Black Bean Soup Over Cilantro-Lime Rice!

I have been trying to branch out with my recipes lately and what better place to browse and search?  I'm sure you can probably guess...one of my best friends, Pinterest!  So I have been experimenting with a few this week one of which I am in love with that I made just this evening.  Nate and I are kind of obsessed with Mexican dishes and I love the fact that it's easy and cheap to make.  We also are in love with Chipotle, a chain "Mexican fast food" that is soooooo good and healthy!  I would probably be there weekly if my wallet would allow but we try to make an appearance maybe once a month or so.  When I found this recipe that I made tonight, I was in my glory.  It is a Chipotle inspired "Black Bean Soup over Cilantro-Lime Rice" and tastes very similiar to the burrito bowls that you would get there.   Eli ate a huge portion compared to his normal dinners so I'm guessing that's a thumbs up to make it again :)  I always have my cabinet stocked full of black beans because I like to put them in a lot of recipes which came in handy for this one.  Without further ado...here is the recipe!



Black Bean Soup over Cilantro-Lime Rice:
Adapted from: http://iowagirleats.com


Ingredients: 
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped  (Recipe called for 1/2 onion minced but I like more and I chopped into small pieces)
2 garlic cloves (I used 4 because mine were small...all a matter of preference)
salt and pepper
2 teaspoons chili powder (I used at least 1/2 to 1 tsp more than it called for because I went according to taste)
1/4 teaspoon cumin (I used at least 1 tsp because I went according to taste)
2 cans seasoned black beans, drained but not rinsed (I used Trader Joe’s Cuban-style beans)
1-1/2 cups water
1 cup chicken broth (I used water with a couple boullion cubes)
4-5 dashes green Tabasco sauce (I used Sri Racha hot sauce because I didn't have any Tabasco.  I put 2 to 3 small squirts in since Eli was eating with us. I kept it very mild.)
Toppers: sliced avocado, salsa, sour cream
For the Cilantro-Lime Rice:1 cup long grain white rice (I used left over rice in the refrigerator from our meal last night)
2 cups water
1 Tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
juice of 1/2 lime
3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro





Directions:
  1. Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, then saute until soft, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and saute for no more than 30 seconds and then add the chili powder and cumin.
  2. Add drained beans, water, and chicken broth. Bring soup to a boil, then lower heat slightly and simmer for 15 minutes or so. At this point you can do one of two things.  Either scoop 2 ladle-fulls of soup into a blender or food processor then blend until almost smooth or do what I did and use a quick-prep hand immersion blender.  I received this as a gift for Christmas and it is the best invention.  I used to use my food processor but found it to be so messy and a huge pain in the middle of making soup.  This quick-prep immersion blender blends it right in the pot without making a mess.  I highly recommend it :)  If you are using the immersion blender, blend about a 1/3 of it in the pot. Add desired amount of hot sauce at this point.  I let my soup simmer longer than it said because I think soup always tastes better the longer it simmers since the flavors have more opportunity to blend with all the ingredients.  I simmered it for at least 45 minutes.
  3. For the Chipotle-Lime Rice: While soup is simmering, bring water, oil, and salt to a boil in a saucepan. Add rice, place a lid on top, then turn heat down to medium-low and simmer until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir to fluff then add lime juice and chopped cilantro.
  4. To serve, scoop cooked rice into bottom of bowls then top with hot soup. Top with sliced avocado, salsa, sour cream, etc. I also put a little Mexican cheese on top.


This recipe is amazing and you won't be sorry that you tried it!  I also made a dish the other night that I didn't document but I would recommend it.  It is Pesto Shrimp with Snow Peas over Quinoa.  Eli devoured this one as well and it was even better heated up the next day.  I would eat the snow peas again by themselves with the pesto, lemon and garlic on them.  That in itself would be a great side dish to something else.   Any Chipotle lovers out there...let me know what you think if you try this recipe! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment