Thursday, January 31, 2013

Thrifty Thursday: Picture Re-purposed Chalkboard & Gold Liquid Leaf!

Thrifty Thursday with a Twist of a Makeover...
I am back with the full story oh how I re-purposed the frame I mentioned last week that cost me 25 cents at the Goodwill Distribution in Gorham.  Here is the before and after...


Before anyone asks why I would do away with such a classic amazing picture, it's because it was in really bad shape and the front of it was peeling, discolored and had water marks all over it.  I opted to remove it and put a new piece of wood in the frame, but I decided it was a solid base to work with and it would have been more work to do that instead.  So I ended up spraying right over the picture itself since its on an mdf type board (no glass with my picture, but I have heard of people spraying the glass with chalkboard paint and it working.  Never have done it personally however).  I love chalkboards because of their personalization.  I especially love one in the kitchen to write messages for events, quotes, scriptures or even the dinner menu for guests.   I have a small one that I made a while back, but I had been on the hunt for a larger one.  I still could go with a bigger one than this, but for 25 cents I had nothing to lose :)  Here is how my chalkboard transformation took place...

1. Covered the outside with a plastic trash bag and taped it down on the back so that I could spray the chalkboard base first.  I was a little impatient and wanted to get the ball rolling immediately when I bought the frame.  That didn't happen because you need the weather to be fairly nice so that it will dry properly and not blow all over the place when spraying.  I would love a garage someday where I can open the doors and do projects during the colder months.  Spray paint is finicky so conditions have to right.

2.  Removed the trash bag and the frame now looks like this. I did about 4 coats of chalkboard spray paint.  The backing that I sprayed wasn't completely even and was a little rough.  I sanded it a little before spraying it.  If you look at it up close you can see the unevenness but nothing that bothers me.  That's the beauty of liking an aged/vintage look because imperfections to me just bring added character to the piece :)

3.  I didn't care if the chalkboard paint got on the wood a little because I was going to spray the frame next.  I used a metallic gold spray paint from our local Ace hardware store and the Krylon chalkboard spray paint. I covered the front of the chalkboard with white paper while I sprayed the frame with the gold.


4.  I spray painted the frame with 1-2 coats of the Metallic Gold.  I was going for a vintage aged look and wanted it to have a layered effect so I didn't want the gold spray paint to be one saturated color.  I bought a gold leafing paint (similiar to gilding) that I used on top of the spray paint.  Here is the metallic gold by itself first.






5.  Next I applied the Gold Liquid Leaf with a small soft bristled paint brush.  This didn't need to be even strokes since I was going for a layered aged effect.  This product will last FOREVER (a little went a long way).  It was $5 and well worth the little "extra touch."




6.  You are supposed to wait 1 hour in between the liquid leaf coats.  I applied one coat and may do some touch ups once I have it on the wall.  I am going to wait and see what it looks like once its up in the kitchen.  I did take the brush and lightly went over the edge of the chalkboard along the frame to give it an old look.  I I had made a little boo boo and touched the chalkboard by accident with the gold liquid.  I thought I was going to have to go back with the chalkboard spray paint, but instead I decided to roll with it and make it look like it was part of the plan.  I love how the liquid leaf looks over the spray paint.  It shines/shimmers and gives it the look I was envisioning.  It compliments the mirror in our living room above the mantle very well.  They look like they could be siblings :)  Here is the finished product...





Total cost for this project:
*Frame: 25 cents
*Chalkboard spray paint: Already owned it from previous project.
*Metallic Gold Spray Paint: $4
*Gold Liquid Leaf (optional for the look I wanted): $5

Under $10.00 for this project!

This could become an obsession for me.  They are fun to make and would make great gifts!  Anyone make one recently or been wanting to?  I say GO FOR IT....its easy and simple!  Such a fun way to display notes or a message to someone in your family :)

2 comments:

  1. love it!!! i have an old frame i bought at salvation army that i need to get some wood for to make a chalkboard! it's in my kitchen now; can't wait to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Can't wait to see yours!! I love chalkboards. We have a bunch of MDF board we are using for Eli's molding in his room. It would be perfect for a chalkboard since it is so smooth. Wish we were closer, I'd give you a piece!

      Delete