Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Christmas Bunting Banner...Easy Peasy!




Bunting Banners are a special friend of mine.  I seem to create one for every birthday party or holiday....it never fails! I also love little touches for the holidays that take minimal time and little money.  This is one of those projects that will cost you very little and you can whip this together in under 30 minutes.  I came across a blog recently, Shanty2Chic , with Free Printables for every letter of the alphabet along with other various symbols for every holiday.  I saved that link immediately knowing it would be my go to site since banners are a thing I create often.  Instead of cutting letters out by hand, I can let the printer do most of the work from now on :)  It's a win for me! 

I kept my banner simple because once you print them out, each individual letter is quite large.  I would print one out before settling on a word so you can figure out if it will work in the space that you have designated.  Originally I was going to use the mantle or one of my shelves but the banner was too big so I decided to use the doorway between our kitchen and living room.  I kept it simple and used the word CHRISTMAS.  I decided to use the chevron pattern to frame it out since I have a pillow to match in my living room.  I am very pleased and happy with how it turned out.  The best part is that it only cost me around $3.50 and took me about 20 minutes to put it together.  This is a project that anyone can do and it makes a really big statement in a room!  Here is the rundown of materials used and the process of it.  It's pretty straightforward but I'll list it out anyways.

*Materials :
  • Printing paper (I used plain white but you could use any color).
  • Design paper for behind the letters (I used a burlap design for a rustic/natural look.  I found this at Michael's.  It is normally 59 cents a piece but they were having a sale 4 for $1.00 a few weeks ago.  They are continually having sales and there are always coupons to take advantage of.  I rarely buy anything there without a coupon.  Every time you shop, you get a 40% off for your next visit so I automatically stash those away till I know there is something I need for a project.  
  • Ribbon or twine to hang your banner ( I used silver sparkly ribbon because it is what I had on hand for Christmas.  I think next time I would use a natural twine.
  • Tiny clothespins (you will find these at the craft store.  I again bought these at Michael's with a 40% off coupon.  They are normally $2.99, but I paid $1.80 and I still have some left over.
 

*Directions:
  • Print out your word.  Every letter takes up a whole 8x11 piece of paper.  Cut your letters out along the edges of the triangle.  
  • Cut a slightly larger triangle out of your design paper to fit under the letter triangle.  This will show through on the sides.  I left about a 1/4 inch or a little less all the way around (see pic above).  I made a template first and than I just traced it so it wouldn't be so time consuming.  Cut your second set of triangles out.  
  • Now it's time to layer them.  You can opt to glue the 2 triangles together if you want or if you're like me you can just clip them together and hang them on your ribbon or twine.   
  • Now it's time to clip your word up, hang it and stand back to admire it!


What word are you thinking of creating?  Have fun and enjoy the beauty of the season!  Happy Bunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment