Monday, December 17, 2012

Silhouettes, a classic and beautiful gift!

Goodmorning from Portland, Maine on this very cold and snowy day :)  Our house is being enveloped and blanketed in all that white stuff and since it's Christmas week, I'm pretty happy about it.  Eli and I are planning to go have a playdate in the snow in a little bit.  For some reason, snow takes on a whole new meaning when you have a child.  There is something so fun and magical about the joy it brings to a childs heart.   I'm looking forward to our mother/son date...today more than ever!  Hug your children tight and don't let the little moments of bliss pass you by.  When I think of the aftermath in CT on Friday, there are parents who no longer will be able to enjoy the simple pleasures of life with their kids and it breaks my heart.  Lets all learn to enjoy, cherish and seize every opportunity to spend time with our children and loved ones in a new way.  Life is a gift and may we all be reminded of it this Christmas season!



Now onto the sweet project I did recently of Elias' silhouette.  It is very simple, cost effective and quick.  I think it would make a great gift if you are looking for something creative and memorable to give to your loved ones.   I have always been drawn to the old vintage silhouettes and remember getting one done of myself along with my siblings when we were younger.  Ours was much more intricate where someone used an art cutter to cut our profiles out by just looking at us.  It was amazing and I still love to look at it when I go to my mom and dads.  And because of that experience, I was always a little intimadated of ever approaching this project because I never realized it would be so easy.  BUT, you will be amazed at how EASY it is!  Drumroll please....here are the materials you need and the process of putting it together.  Trust me, there is no art cutter involved, Thank God :)

Materials :
  •  5x7 or 8x10 profile picture of your child or whomever you would like to use.  I chose to use a 5x7 because of the frame I purchased.
  • Picture frame of your choice.  I knew I wanted an oval picture frame.  I found one at Mardens for a pretty reasonable price and it has somewhat of an old vibe to it.  
  • Black acrylic paint and paint brushes
  • Paper to adhere your picture to for the matting of the frame.   


Directions:
  • Cut the profile of the child out of the picture.  Use the black acryclic paint to paint layers on the picture.  It takes several layers to get the desired effect.  It doesn't look great in the beginning but after at least 4 layers it's completely solid black.  Key to remember: Make sure the air is dry and let it dry between coats for at least 20 minutes so you don't jeopardize taking the paint off.  The picture is glossy so it takes time to adhere.  
  • After several layers and you get the desired color saturation that you want, let it sit and dry for several hours.  Once the picture is completely dry and has "cured" so to speak, adhere it to whatever paper you choose.  I used just a plain white piece of paper to keep it simple, but I think you could be creative with it.  I thought a burlap style paper (like the one I used for my bunting banner ) would look great, so I may change it up.  Cut the paper to fit the frame and then glue the picture to the paper.  I used a glue stick that I use for scrapbooking.  And Voila, you are able to place it in the frame to see your finished masterpiece. 
 1st layer of paint

 2nd Layer of paint...you can see the darkening that is taking place.

  Finished Masterpiece!

Breakdown of Costs:
  • Frame- $9.00...You could definitely find one for less than this.  I just could not find an oval one that I liked anywhere.
  • Picture- Around 50 cents. Printed at Sams Club
  • Acrylic Black Paint- $1.00 at Michaels 
  • White Paper & Paint Brushes-  I already had from previous projects
  • Total= $10.50, but could be done for less.       

Now you can sit back, admire, and enjoy your piece of art.   This is one of my most beloved keepsakes that I plan to do with all our children someday and would love to do it at different stages in their lives to see the progression when they are older.  It's funny how even when you paint over the picture, you can tell that it is totally your child by their little features that are so unique to them :)  I hope this gives some of you an idea if you are at a loss for something to give or make.  Enjoy this busy week leading up to Christmas and try to take time to savor all that is going on around you.  Thanks again for stopping by!  

No comments:

Post a Comment