Thursday, January 31, 2013

Dear Eli...

The weather today is so strange.  It is super windy out BUT is 53 degrees on what is usually a cold, blistery January day.  I love it except it's a tease because winter isn't even half over yet. Almost all the snow is gone...it's amazing really.  I'm hoping we can take a walk and get some fresh air when you get up from nap :)

It has been quite the week....I've never laughed so much and yet at the same time I have never been so challenged and frustrated in all my life.   One moment you make me so happy and the next you are melting down and I just want to cry with you.  I hate to think of it as the "terrible twos" because I know through this time your character, personality and core values as a person are being developed and refined through all of this,  whether it's good or ugly.  You have brought me to a new level of patience and asking God to strengthen me when I know not what else to do.  It's been challenging to say the least, yet if I can get a grip on my own emotions in the midst of these trivial times, I can see a little boy trying to figure out life the best he knows how.  And my job as the parent is to guide and direct you the best I know how.  I'm learning as I go and I don't have it all figured out, but at the end of the day you know and I know that I love you so much and you mean more to me than anything in the world!  I have to remember not to wish these moments and months away because before I know it, you will be starting kindergarten and I will wonder where these last few years have gone.  In the big scheme of things, this is just a glimpse of an eye and I want nothing else than to savor this time I have with you because I will never get it back no matter how hard it is. You are worth it my son and I would have many many more if God willing because there is nothing like being a mom!

You have had me laughing so much this week.  Recently, you have started telling me that certain things "freak me out."  I'm assuming you have picked this up from me, but the funny part is that you know how to use it in the right context.  For instance, I babysit "little Eli" a couple times a week and when I went to change his poopy diaper you started to gag, running as fast as you could saying, "that stinks, it's freaking me out mommy" or the other day you were eating a salad and there was a weird looking piece of cabbage in it and you said to me, "that is gross looking, it's freaking me out", hahaha!

You are crazy sometimes and smells freak you out.  When we go into a public restroom and someone has left an "odor", you scream out, "it smells so bad in here" and you begin to cough and gag.  I feel so bad for the person you are probably insulting, but you never fail at picking up on scents when you walk into a room.  I'm just hoping you learn to filter what you are thinking as you get older :)

You love helping me cook in the kitchen.  This really tests my patience sometimes but I'm really trying to not worry about the mess so much and let you learn and have fun.  We make eggs every morning for breakfast and you are my whisker.  You tell me exactly what needs to go in it including "garlic."  Now everything we make has to have "garlic" in it according to you.  You really are great at helping me and your favorite part is trying it out along the way!  You love food and your diverse pallet is amazing!

You are my little grocery shopping buddy.  You know all the stores by heart and exactly what happens at each one.  You know Trader Joes for their little shopping carts and I think that is your favorite place to shop since you feel like a big person.  We are still working on the "excuse me" and wait for the person in front of you to go first.  You think it's like a race track and you just plow through as fast as you can.  Most people are forgiving and think you are cute and I am totally exhausted when I leave there with you!! ha!  We were at Hannaford the other night and you LOVE driving the car carts.  I love them too because it keeps you occupied and you stay put for most of the shopping trip.  When we were leaving I was putting you in the car and you kept trying to look around me.  I asked you what you were doing and you said, "i'm trying to peek at that man over there."  You were as serious as it could be with a little smile on your face.  You made me laugh so hard!

We have been really trying to work on your manners more especially when you ask a question.  You now say "may I please" or "can I please" before you do something or want to help out.  I can't even believe how much you talk now.  We can have a full on conversation with you and interact.  You love talking on the phone and you get mad at me when I answer it.  I usually have to tell the person to call back just so you can hit the button and say hello.  You are my strong, independent child and mimi says I was just like you at your age.  I think I'm getting paid back for all that I did to her :)  It's funny how much your personality resembles mine when I watch home videos.  You are not afraid to tell people where to go, what to do and how to do it and of course you have to do EVERYTHING yourself!!!!

You had your first dental cleaning this past week at Auntie Caleigh's school.  You were incredible!  You let her probe at your teeth (check for cavities), polish and fluoride them.  I was very impressed.  I am sure it helped that you know her compared to not knowing the hygienist.  You loved the stuffed alligator they had with the big chompers and large tooth brush.  You helped brush his teeth and play with Caleigh's tools :)  You have all your teeth for now and they said it all looks perfect.  As long as you keep letting me brush your teeth like you do, you should be ok :)

Well, I am sure there was a lot more said out of that little mouth of yours this week, and I'll be back to share more soon :)  There is so much you say that I need to start writing it down immediately so I don't forget.   You have such a fun personality and there is never a dull moment when you are around!

Love you so much,
Mommy

Groundhog Day is this Saturday so we made an art project today.  We have always recognized this day growing up because mimi's family lives in Punxsutawney, PA where the groundhog is from.  Our uncle was always on the groundhog committee and would dress up as the groundhog in the parade.  Here you are with your proud artwork :)


My little Picasso :)  
We are going to frame your finished product in either the playroom or your new big boy room!




No comments:

Post a Comment