Saturday, January 5, 2013

Winter Treasures...A Few of My Favorite Finds!

Once New Years day comes and goes, I am itching to get my Christmas decor down and do a good thorough cleaning before the next season of items emerge.  After having a lot of color around for the holidays, I'm in a winter white color pallet mood to change things up a bit.  White is often dismissed as being "blah" but I find that layering different tones of white and cream can actually be a beautiful thing!  I decided to leave out my white trees and mercury glass since it goes well with the "winter white" theme.  I once heard Nate Berkus (love that guy) say that mercury glass is a timeless decor that will never go "out" and it blends beautifully with so many different styles.  You can actually make your own, and I'll do a tutorial date on that soon as well.   

It's funny how I stumble across good thrifty finds while out and about.  I rarely go out with the intention of finding treasures but somehow in the midst of shopping for something else, treasures somehow find me.  My family often laughs at me when I go shopping because I have to tangibly touch everything I see.  I have a hard time buying anything online because I have to use my sense of touch before being confident with my purchase.  When I go into a store, I get a thrill out of pawing through things to find a deal.  It gets me excited when the challenge arises.   What would take someone 10 minutes to scan a store, takes me a good hour at the least.  I love going to Target just to walk around.  It's like a field trip for an adult :)  I NEVER like to buy anything full price because I know it will at some point go on sale or I can find something similiar elsewhere for a better price.  I think that's what being "thrifty" is all about.  It's not being cheap and stingy but being able to search for a quality gem for a fraction of the price.  You get more for your money that way and it makes this stay at home mom very happy! 

Recently, I came across some great finds and thought I'd share so you too can be on the look out as you are out and about.  Some of my favorite places to visit are Goodwill Distribution (huge warehouse about a mile from our home), Target (clearance home section), local Goodwill store in town, Michael's, Christmas Tree, Homegoods, and Dollar Tree. 

Here are a few of my favorite finds this season...
 
Snowflake pillow-  Target Clearance on end cap.  Bought 2 for $5 each.  

Gold Lamp Base- Goodwill for $1.99. 
It has some rust spots on bottom so I'm either going to try to find a product to take those away or spray it a color. It has good bones.  Will keep you posted.  Burlap Lampshade is from Target, $12 which makes the lamp $14 which isn't bad for the size of it.  


White Lanterns-  Goodwill Distribution, $1.50 each. 
I didn't even realize this place existed until a friend of mine told me about it (Thanks Star :).  It's my new favorite place.  You have to be in the mood to dig through bins, but when you do, you can find some great stuff.   All furniture is 99 cents and everything else is by the pound.  These lanterns were heavy so the price per pound goes down.  They bring new inventory out every 30 minutes.  The lanterns are about a foot and a half tall.  Can be hung on the wall separately or I have put them together as one large lantern in the picture above.  I use it on my make shift side table with candles in it.  They are white with a distressed/vintage finish.

Wooden Letter Sign- Michael's for $1.00.  
It's a blackish/gray tweed fabric over the wood.  I found it in the dollar section.  I replaced my "Merry" sign from Christmas with the "Let It Snow".  I used a white/cream scrapbook paper for back and hot glued the lettering to the paper.  Great winter art!

Round Gold/gray/white Tablecloth-  Target Christmas Clearance $4. 
I rarely use table cloths but I love this fabric and thought if I ended up not liking it as a tablecloth I could make a curtain or pillows out of it. 

Large Pinecone-  Homegoods $2 Christmas Clearance.  
I plan to use it as part of my decor on front door.  It looks like a long enlarged pine cone with snow on it.  Has an old/vintage flare to it.

Placemat- Target $1.00 in Christmas clearance.  
I love the color combo....white, tan, teal green, dark gray and metallic silver strips. Looks like an old rag rug.  Instead of using them as place mats to eat on I decided to use it as part of the centerpiece on my table.  I refinished the crate above with cream paint and brown stain this past summer and I have canning jars in them with epsom salt for snow and tea lights which give a pretty glow at night


 Card "Be the Change You Wish to See in the World."-  Trader Joes for $1.00.  
While looking for cards I saw this one and immediately knew I wanted it to frame for in the kitchen.  It looks like cross stitch even up close, not to mention the saying that has such powerful meaning behind it.  They have beautiful cards that are all frame worthy.  Inexpensive piece of art that looks amazing when framed!

Have you found any great finds lately?  I love hearing and seeing what other people come across in their hunting.  Have a great weekend all!




No comments:

Post a Comment